Tuesday, May 22, 2018

New Project- Gabriel Hawke

I have finished the first book of the Gabriel Hawke series and it is off to a beta reader. Once she finishes, I need to find a male beta reader because it is all in the point of view of a male character. Then it will go off to critique partners and on down my line of minions who help me make my books readable.

I had a great time meeting new people and learning about occupations I didn't know to write this book. Meeting an ODFW(Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife) State Trooper, a wildlife biologist, and a Forest service helicopter pilot and his wife.

For me it definitely takes a village to write a book. I have so many things I need to learn and prefer hearing it from a person who does that job. Reading about a job doesn't give you all the nuances that you learn from a person.

I also visited the trail head that is part of several scenes in my story and took photos. I'm hoping my cover artist will be able to make a good looking cover from my photos.

Right now my biggest concern is deciding what genre it falls under. Because it has a Law Enforcement protagonist, I believe it should go under Police Procedural or Crime Fiction. It's not a mystery like my Shandra Higheagle books. There is a pretty good idea of who is the killer from early in the book, but my character has to come up with the proof to place the person with the victim.  And being a tracker, once he's on the trail, he can't leave it alone.

This first book will be available in January 2019.


2 comments:

Granny Grammersmith said...

Thoroughly enjoyed the three Gabriel Hawke books and can't wait for the fourth. The setting and characters are so well portrayed that I could see the people and their interactions in my mind.

Paty Jager said...

Thank you! I really enjoy writing the books.